The Municipal Council resolved to enter into a shared service agreement with the OR Tambo District Municipality for Internal Audit services.
The purpose of internal auditing is to assist the Municipal Council and Management of the Municipality in the effective discharge of their responsibilities as they relate to the Municipality’s policies, internal controls and management reporting practices. It helps the Municipality accomplish its objectives by bringing a systematic, disciplined approach to evaluate and improve the effectiveness of risk management, control, and governance process.
The internal Audit Activity intends to function in a manner that partly ensures that:
- Risks are appropriately identified and managed;
- Significant financial, managerial, and operating information is accurate, reliable, and timely;
- Employees’ actions are in compliance with policies, standards, procedures, and applicable laws and regulations;
- Programs, plans, and objectives are achieved;
- Significant legislative or regulatory issues impacting the organization are recognized and addressed appropriately.
In compliance with section 166 of the Municipal Finance Management Act 56 of 2003, the Port St Johns Municipality Audit Committee has been established by the council of Port St Johns Municipality. The committee is established to assist the Council in discharging its duties relating to the safeguarding of assets, the operation of adequate systems, internal controls and control processes and the preparation of accurate financial reporting and statements in compliance with all applicable legal requirements, corporate governance and accounting standards.
The Audit Committee’s most important contribution to assuring ethical conduct is its sincere interest in the Municipality’s operations and its advocacy of high standard of behavior. The Audit Committee seats on quarterly basis, however the chairperson shall call any additional meetings deemed necessary, particularly if requested by the Internal and External Auditors and any Audit Committee member.