Integrated Development Planning (IDP) Management role:
- Ensure Preperation and adoption of the process plan
- Undertake overall management and the coordination of the IDP preperation process
- Manage the service provider appointed to assist the Municipality with the process
- Ensure IDP relevant structures are in place and are encouraged to contribute effectively to the drafting process
- Ensure participation and involvement of all relevant role players, that timeframes are adhere to and that the planning process is aligned to the framework plan of the O R Tambo District.
- Chair the IDP steering committee meetings and planning sessions
- Ensure that the IDP document is completed and submitted to the council and MEC in accordance with law.
IDP Steering Committee
The Municipal IDP committee will serve as an organizational platform for the purpose of information exchange, debating and finding common ground on siutable technical solutions to key planning challenges. It will be mainly composed of middle and senior management as well as portfolio heads.
The IDP steering commitee is comprised of the following individuals and entities:
- Municipal Manager Office
- Planning and Development
- Budget and Treasury
- Technical Services
- Corporate Services
- Community Services
Invitation to participate on the planning sessions of the sterring commitee will always be extended to OR Tambo District (PIMSS Centre) and sometimes to key informants within the regional and district offices of provincial government operating within the Port St. Johns LM areas.
IDP steering commitee role
- Serve as platform for engaging stakeholders and debating of technical solutions to identified developmental challenges
- Provide secretatiat to the representative forum
- Give inputs on content issues and where neccessary commission in-depth studies on particular issues then make informed recommendations on way forward
- Define terms of reference of the IDP representative forum
- Assist with technical inputs on the project task teams
- Respond to comments on sector departments and facilitate communication
- Comment on the draft and final report
Municipal Head/s of department will also be tasked further as par of the SC to lead interdepartmental teams on investigations of particular thematic issues relating to their line functions for purposes of this IDP process.
The steering commitee further identified the Planning and Developmental secretary with the specific role of providing continous secretariat services and taking of minuts in IDP representative forums and issuing invitations and reminders for scheduled meetings to ensure maximum participation.
IDP Representative Forum
The purpose of the IDP representative forums is to provide an organizational platform to external Municipal stakeholders for debating issues and contributing to find of workable solutions to existing and competing community needs. It is chaired by the Mayor.
IDP Representative Forum mandate:
- Provide a platform for effective representations of the views and opinion of the different interest groupings that participate in the Port St. Johns IDP process
- Ensure participation of all Municipal stakeholders in the processes of Municipal planning and decision making that affect their lives.
- Give inputs in the perfomance management process of the municipality
It is proposed that this structure be composed of the representatives of the following known groupings existing within Port St. Johns municipal areas:
- EXCO Members
- Ward Councellors
- Ward committees
- Traditional leaders
- Government departments and parastatals i.e:
- Department of Agriculture
- Department of Public Works
- Department ofEducation
- Department ofHealth
- Social Development
- Department ofJustice
- Department ofLand Affairs
- Department ofof Forestry & Water Affairs
- Correctional Services
- Department ofHome Affairs
- Economic Affairs
- Sport Arts and Culture
- Department ofof Labour
- Community development organizations
- Non-governmental organizations
- Youth council
- Farmer organizations
- Community Police Forums
- Municipal administration (departmental managers)
- Technical Support Teams
In addition to these structures is to appoint a service provider to provide technical advice and guidance in the processes of preparing this integrated development plan as well as write-up of final document.